domingo, diciembre 31, 2017

Week: A Toast for 2017

I salute a year that has taught me humility. To it, I raise glass to lips,
And burn…Gratitude, deep as the ocean floor, dense as a dying star:

To the lover who shared my home, but not my hopes.
To the woman who stopped answering my calls, stopped climbing mountains by my side.
To the couple whose fights make me ache with self-recognition.
To the woman whose friendship I thought I had lost, but returned.
To the man who had a wife, and then didn’t.
To the man who has a wife, still.
To the women who cackle, like witches, our voices carrying over the wind.
To the man I want to love, who is not yet ready to receive it.
To the woman who finally had the baby she so desperately desired.
To the man I met ages ago, who came back to rescue me from boredom.
To the woman who was so afraid he would leave her, that she ran away.
To the woman who lost her father, but never her laughter to share.
To the people I have wronged accidentally, or willfully, in my own pain.
To the family that has chosen me, and my girl, to love as if we were kin.
To my brother, whose politics I cannot comprehend.
To my father, whose voice-cracking holding back tears brings me to my knees.
To my mother, my hero, who holds her hand when I must leave.
And to my daughter, for whose breath I would give my own,
Whose heart is my heart,
Whose light did not but flicker, and yet burns.



Saludo a un año que me ha mostrado humildad. A él, levanto vidrio a labios, y quemo… gratitud, tan honda como el fondo del mar, tan densa como una estrella moribunda:

Al amante que compartió mi casa, pero no mis esperanzas.
A la mujer que dejó de recibir mis llamadas, dejó de escalar montañas a mi lado.
A la pareja cuyas peleas me duelen con auto-reconocimiento.
A la mujer cuya amistad creí haber perdido, que regresó.
Al hombre que tenía una mujer, y luego ya no.
Al hombre que tiene una mujer, aún.
A las mujeres que cacarean como brujas, nuestras voces flotando por encima del viento.
Al hombre que quiero amar, que no está listo para recibirlo.
A la mujer que por fin tuvo al hijo que tan desesperadamente deseaba.
Al hombre que conocí hace mucho, que volvió para rescatarme del aburrimiento.
A la mujer que tenía tanto miedo de que él la dejara, que se fugó.
A la mujer que perdió a su padre, pero jamás su risa para compartir.
A las personas a las que he dañado accidentalmente, o voluntariosamente, desde mi propio dolor.
A la familia que me ha escogido a mí y a mi hija como si tuviéramos parentesco.
A mi hermano, cuya política no puedo comprender.
A mi padre cuya voz quebrantada aguantando el llanto me abruma.
A mi madre, mi héroe, que la sostiene de la mano cuando debo salir.
Y a mi hija, por cuya respiración daría la mía,
Cuyo corazón es el mío,
Cuya luz sólo parpadeó, pero aún arde.