miércoles, septiembre 28, 2005

ode to bobby dylan

the words the words the words are only a part, a small part, an infinitesimal part, transfixed by the slow smile, the blue, blue, bluest of eyes and the warm chords and sad sounds emitted from the guitar that wants to be a man and the man that wants to be a guitar, how does it feel to be selfish and in love? how does it feel to be at the top of your game to know that it is all a steady rolling stone down the hill to the end, ending waking, walking burning with fire inside? you were my first love, my first world, my first peek at myself.
how does it feel to be out, hung loose for the world to see, needing no one, but the fire within and the feelings that turned themselves into a universe inside you? from you i learned how to be a woman, alone, in the water, tangled up in you, in the darkness, and organ falling in cascades of oceans of rivers of faucets that drip in lonely one-bedroom apartments in greenwich village and the people that took you for a ride, did you feel it, did it take you where you wanted it to go?
the words fall away in aharmonic soliliquies of pain and solace wrapped up in one. it is always the music, the music, the music whirling around inside of you, inside of me, inside our collective head, a century, condensed down into one pure moment. i have a dream and it is the same dream of the masses of the millions of every single one that breathes with you in their head, a word, a word, it closes slowly, the type-writer clacks away, the pain in your back slackens, for a moment, with a motorcycle between your thighs, my eyes, will see you forever, since the first awakening, of my mind, which is just a part, infinitesimally small, eternally slipping insignificant, like yourself, in a dream, before you.

11 Comments:

Blogger andro said...

How does it feel? Like a rolling stone.

That's another exception: I prefer the cover.

Nice one, like a drunk letting go the words of a suppressed desire, with anger, with relief.

2:16 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

which cover? most of his songs are "prettier" in the covered versions, some I like better and others no.
I particularly like Nina Simone's covers of his work.
// I confess that I was inspired by the two-night documentary by Scorcese on PBS (public tv)... I was not only transfixed but transported.

7:30 a.m.  
Blogger andro said...

I mean the Rollings Stones version (that's appropiate: "Like a rolling stone" ... by the Rolling Stones! We been talking about the Stones lately, also.)

About Dylan and the "prettier" versions, I heard that some say that he's a great composer but not that good at singing. I kinda like his voice, almost on the verge of breaking and fading away. And the songs? "Knockin' on heaven's door" and the mentioned above, well, I prefer the covers. However, I can´t imagine someone else singing "Lay, lady lay" and I liking it!

1:44 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Quinto:I love his voice, every raspy creaky part of it, every atonal, non-harmonizing scrape of his vocal chords sound like heaven to me.//Clapton or Gn'R? - I vote yes for the Clapton version even though my age cohort would demand a preference for glam metal// Lay lady lay, Don't think twice, Just like Tom Thumb's blues...I insist, in general, Dylan did Dylan best, but I do love a good cover anyhow.

3:45 p.m.  
Blogger L. YURÉ said...

Te gustó el documental? Vieras el chorro de nata fría que me cayó al imaginarme a Pete Seger con un hacha tratando de cortarle el cable a B. Dylan. // Claro, la epifanía vino al ver mi adorado Niles en la pecera televisiva.

9:25 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

hmmm. un chorro de nata... este... estas imágenes tuyas Yuré... Sí... lo detesté al Seeger, y más porque estaba tratando de excusarse por sus problemas auditivos... desde cuando ser sordo es sinónimo con sociópata, asesino loco?// mirá... creo que había carencias grandes en la obra como obra, pero me encantó ver a Dylan enfrentarse con los idiotas de periodistas y también me inspiró gran ternura cuando (aunque hijo de la gran puta malagradecido) admitió su amor por Joan Baez...

10:01 p.m.  
Blogger L. YURÉ said...

La obra musical de Dylan o la obra documental de Scorsese?

12:34 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

La obra de Dylan (o al menos su obra temprana) es lo que podríamos llamar, si quisiéramos usar la jerga académica, "unassailable". No, me refería a la obra de Scorcese, cuyos méritos no quisiera repudiar, sino que creo que el ángulo, el enfrentamiento de la película en sí dejaba algo por desear. Cayó al final, para empezar, con la notita como si se hubiera muerto... y con las entrevistas creo que debieron haber indagado más sobre el ahora del artista no sólo sus ideas de cómo leer su pasado. No sé.

7:21 a.m.  
Blogger andro said...

I prefer "Knockin' on heaven's door" by Guns; but Clapton's reggae version is not bad.

12:53 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

ja! Clapton, not bad?!! Serás guitarista para hacer semejante afirmación;)

2:10 p.m.  
Blogger andro said...

I'm pretty far from being a guitarrist; my musical talent is equivalent to zero. But music is a matter of taste, and taste has nothing to do with the talent of the player or the listener. Is Clapton a genius with the guitar? Damn right. Am I crazy about him? Well, no, but I really dig some of his songs (I'm more of a song's guy, not a singer's/ group's.)

What's my point after all this gibberish? Even great musicians have regular, not-so-bad, and bad songs. And I said, I prefer Knockin' un heaven's door by Guns.

(Como decimos en Ticolandia: ¡qué hablada! Un abrazo.)

2:49 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home