sábado, marzo 19, 2005

Mission accomplished

Didn't think I could do it? Well, neither did I, but because I am physically hard-wired to fail no one but myself, I finished last paper, all 23 pages of it, at 11:30, and emailed it to professor in Mexico before midnight California time. She is three to four hours ahead of me, but my responsibility was to finish on March 18, which I officially did. So there. Considering I finished reading the book on Tuesday evening (well behind schedule, damn those pesky lists that serve no purpose but to make me feel guiltier) and having taken Wednesday as a personal day at home and going out to dinner with professor and classmates Thursday... Not bad...

Today was a bad day though, well, not because anything bad happened, indeed the rain made it actually bearable to be cooped up in the house, but because I didn't go to my office, I couldn't stay focused. The up side of this is that I had no need for compulsory dressing rituals, and instead wandered around the house in a t-shirt and fuzzy socks, while I. followed me, promising to be silent but pestering me in her beguiling manner for silly little things like food, toilet paper, a hand to wipe her... Then I was forced to do the dishes several times, and cook the evening meal. She actually fell asleep around 10 curled in my lap after asking if she could just sit there and watch me work. (Sigh, I am so darn smitten with my child I don't know what to do with myself)

We were both sick this morning, so going to school would have been a bad idea, and I should really be sleeping now, except, well, I can't. Too wound up, I suppose. M., before he left, was watching a really cheezy Spanish flick, which had some promise because of cuteness of actors and actresses whose characters were all embroiled in illicit mismatches, but was ruined by horrible need to include musical numbers. Let's leave Bollywood to those who can pull it off, shall we?

We did watch María Full of Grace the other day. Fabulous film. Solidly acted and believable. Meanwhile, little miss monkey has been watching The Neverending Story over and over again. Jeff, why do I have memories of you going "they looked like good strong hands" ? I've been thinking on how great those 80's fantasy films were in all their mechanincal-puppet-effects glory. We watched Labrynth a couple of weeks ago(and who doesn't love David Bowie in sparkly silver paint and skin-tight pleather?) It seems that a whole slew of movies from our collective youth are being remade, but somehow I just can't stomach such waste... and it just wouldn't be the same.

Ok, so over the next few days I am going to let the creative juices flow from wherever it is those juices come...And then I'll be back. I hope.