domingo, marzo 13, 2005

It doesn't count if you are doing things for other people

I swear. It can only be considered procrastination when it is one's own guilty pleasure-seeking distractions. Therefore taking I. to the movies mid-afternoon -we went to see _Robots_ upon her request and we were way too close to the screen for my poor aging eyes to process fully, but it was still thouroughly enjoyable because she curled up in my lap and we leaned way back- doesn't count. Nor does making honey curry chicken (her favorite - today) or the curried red lentil soup for grown-up consumption.

Of course I would be lying to myself if I were to claim to have wasted no time searching for something to satiate my palate (and ultimately not finding it today) but I limited myself, and accomplished all required grading and grade calculation, and ILL book requests for next quarter's course... And of course, I have three hours to study (of which I may actually dedicate one) for my Portuguese final tomorrow morning, which should be relatively simple. I will also be paying an early visit to the PQ (I rarely stray) section of our friendly neighborhood library fully armed with call numbers of the remaining books on the list not already inherited by me, seeing as I had my little ritual book returning ceremony on Friday last, post therapy. (Adiós modernismo;)

I have this problem. With therapy, that is. I feel like there is no progress to be made because I am fully aware of all of my issues, I am just unable to do anything about them, and all the therapist does is validate my feelings, which, frankly, I could do on my own without wasting her time. I mean I feel guilty, like every hour I spend could be better applied to someone else... Ah well.

What can you do? Some days seeking culinary pleasure is a good out, and in an effort to absolve myself of all procrastinatory sins, I am offering up this recipe (therby making it portable for me, too) so that my time-wasting will be directed at other's needs and pleasures and therefore not seem quite so self-indulgent. Ahem.

Curried red lentil soup:
Iingredients:
At least three cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 jalapeño or serrano chiles, seeded (or not) and minced
1 1/2 cups red lentils (or thereabouts)
1 large onion, chopped
2Tbsp minced, peeled ginger
1tsp cumin
1 1/2tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp curry
2 bay leaves (laurel)
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
5-6 Tbsp (homemade is best) Mango chutney
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (I had to use tangerine today)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (coriander leaf)
Yogurt for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:
In a stockpot , heat oil enough to cover bottom and sautee onions until tender. Then add garlic, ginger, chile, curry, cinnamon, cumin and bay leaves. Stir for another minute or two, add lentils and then stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaves. Stir in cilantro, lemon juice and chutney (more is always better). Correct seasoning. Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt (or in lieu of that, sour cream is an acceptable alternative, but just not the same...) Et voila...