viernes, marzo 18, 2005

Phony

And so, as my deadline draws near and I have roughly one hour for each point I want to make (I can write a few paragraphs per hour, n'est pas?) my need to do something different for five minutes has manifested itself. I have made a deal with myself to not mention the "p" word as it has grown awfully trite, but needless to say, I am working my way steadily down the list.

I am having the end of quarter body falling apart issue (tonsil-less though recreating absent parts much like predatory animals will morph their tissues in such a way as to blend with prey... or not?)

I have several pending things to write, all of which are on hiatus until I get this puppy out of me and onto the virtual page, but I was distracted enough to find this fascinating article that harkens to the one you posted, Jenny, which leads me to this rant about my cell-phone crisis (you know you are under duress when a non-confrontational altercation with salesman makes you go cry in the car for the duration of the drive home).

Any of you who had ATT as a wireless carrier may have been lulled into a sense of comfort, despite Cingular's aggressive takeover of that branch of the company. Who cares? you thought, now my signal will be stronger and I can take advantage of no roaming charges with this expanded network. Au contraire... While one's pact with the devil may still be officially respected, his big brother is going to do everything in its power to make you consolidate and switch your plan to his. Now, as the footsoldiers say, "we can't force you to switch over" but they will do everything in their power to make it impossible to have any kind of service for your ATT products, and then they will charge you an activation fee to switch over to their very own company, forcing massive dumping of perfectly useable merchandise all in the name of corporate profit. Ok, nothing new here, but strangely our children our learning this same lesson in Robots -one can only hope that it won't be a quaint fictional memory by the time they can make retail choices.

I am thoroughly annoyed that in a world that is litterally filling itself with trash, there are still no responsible companies willing to forego the "cheap" short-term profit for a vision of long-term stable growth through loyalty to a cause and the protection of our environment.
Of course this is no surprise when the morons in Washington are drilling in what should still be protected Alaskan land for a measly several months of petroleum... just because they can. When will partisan politicians stop thumbing their noses at one another and start taking care of what is really important? Like promoting the already existant energy alternatives. No wait, then they couldn't rape the entire earth reaping massive profits as the fuel shortage grows more marked in the next ten years... When there is nothing left, they'll start selling us designer bottled clean air at exorbitant prices and unveil their fabulous "innovations" in technology all for astronomical private profits of the few.

Grrrrrr. Now I must return to my absolutely trivial and unimportant work, routed in fantasy and the fight for sexual freedom...