viernes, febrero 18, 2005

Carless no more

M. came home this morning with the idea of buying me a car. Could it be that he is trying to hurry me off on my own? Is it an act of selfless kindness (possibly) Or, more likely, is he tired of coming and going, driving me places and dropping me off...?

Perhaps a little of all three. It seems however that the goddesses are colluding, this time in my favor. Two days ago we were (unbeknownst to me) offered a second parking spot, and M. has aquired an excellent, honest, mechanic (of which there are few in this world -or at least Santa Barbara- it would seem). Said mechanic has a friend with a car dealership in Ventura who was selling several cars for under $1000 (our max)so the two of them went to look at cars, check out motors and such, (boy things that like comics and computers hold only limited interest for me)and I am now the proud owner of a $700 leather-interior automatic BMW, in excellent condition (I had toyed with the idea of going German, but I was imagining a Jetta or something of the like)...

So the excellent new is that now I can go to the Saturday morning farmer's market and the spring break road trip north is indeed a feasibility... Now. Back to work.

1 Comments:

Blogger ilana said...

I know, mygut reaction would be the same, but actually, it's more about Paisanos than anything else. M's mechanic is from D.F. and his friend owns the dealership (also Mexican from Guadalajara). It was really at $2500 car but they were about to rotate it back into storage so they cut him a deal. And remember that out here on the west coast cars last forever. They checked all the belts and the motor and put in a new battery etc. I drove it all over town today and it feels pretty good. Now granted, it is an 84... And the previous owner had to have had multiple dogs because the blue leather is crackling in tell-tale dog claw ways but what do I care about that. I get to drive myself places again which is the most exciting part. (I and I are already planning devious road trips) Although I am still going to bike to school. It will be more of a weekend and evening sort of relationship, I think.

11:18 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home