martes, febrero 15, 2005

Adoring Ani, combatting ennui

This was a different Ani than I remember, still brilliant, beautiful... still rhythmic. Less angry. Perhaps a bit more hopeful. As openly critical of the eternally expanding status quo as ever. But while everyone (gay or straight, it matters not, is bound to want to possess her the way a man posseses a woman) desires her, I saw her on a different plane than before. Perhaps I am just older and not as starry-eyed? It was a bit short, although the return to an acoustic sound made me feel aglow.

She closed the concert - pre encore - with a beautiful version of "Overlap" from _Out of Range_. accompanied by violinist Andrew Bird. She has this way of always speaking to someone, and I was glad to be there to hug Alison, as the words spoke to us all. And Mikey, she played the song you quoted me. Curious indeed.

"Overlap"
I search your profile
for a translation
i study the conversation
like a map
'cause i know there is strength
in the differences between us
and i know there is comfort
where we overlap

come here
stand in front of the light
stand still
so i can see your silhouette
i hope
you have got all night
'cause i'm not done looking,
no, i'm not done looking yet

each one of us
wants a piece of the action
you can hear it in what we say
you can see it in what we do
we negotiate with chaos
for some sense of satisfaction
if you won't give it to me
at least give me a better view

...

i build each one of my songs
out of glass
so you can see me inside them
i suppose
or you could just leave the image of me
in the background, i guess
and watch your own reflection superimposed

i build each one of my days out of hope
and i give that hope your name
and i don't know you that well
but it don't take much to tell
either you don't have the balls
or you don't feel the same

...

i search your profile for a translation
i study the conversation like a map
'cause i know there is strength
in the differences between us
and i know there is comfort
where we overlap

1 Comments:

Blogger ilana said...

Yeah, I think I remember a show back in our "youth"... do you remember we went up to Concord to the Capitol Center for the Arts and it was tiny... and we stood in the aisle and danced and you confessed your desire for her to me? Then we took that lovely pair of leather jacket and metal stud-wearing hard-core lesbians (Theresa? and Somebody?) back to my parents house in the middle of the night because they didn't have a way back to Boston? (I must confess having a fleeting crush on one of them, but perhaps it was just the rush of the show's energy...) Too funny. I really have known you forever darling (except not forever *really*).

But as I said, this time it was kind of different, she was in a different place, not quite so powerfully present, which was ok too, just new.

1:18 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home