jueves, febrero 24, 2005

More writerly thoughts...

Today we had a visitor to present his new book. David Toscana. What a charismatic man. I had a book of his sitting on my shelf from several years back when my readerly ambitions were high and my choice of novels had not yet diverted its course of language. I brought it with me and snuck in a half-hour of reading before heading to class. I was immediately sucked in. Then his talk was even more interesting, and of course there was no pretentiousness, just a very interesting philosophy on readership and its status in Mexico (and the world) right now. There are so few good readers.

Which brings me to my double rant for the week. (triple? - first complaint is, of course that I have no time to do the reading I want to because I am doing all the reading I don't want to.)

But. Really. Last night to unwind we were half-watching prime-time reality stupidity on the one of three channels that gets reception. I would say that the American public's moronic and retrograde tendencies could not be topped, but then we also get Univisión, so I know that our southern neighbors have equally miniscule brains as a general rule. TV is so not worth it.

Then there is the other thing. There are so few good writers available for my general entertainment (as if I had time for such things)... At least in relation to the majority of blogs (probably mine included) It is amazing how boring the word fuck can be and people who claim to offer tantalizing tidbits are really in most ways just crass people with poor writing skills. thouroughly dissappointing overall. Of course, Laura, I am still waiting for some new posts... I know that I could count on you for quality, and Mikey you certainly offer some respite (I still want more of the story dammit, you haven't told me how you ended up where you are!) As for the rest of you, well, what can I say... I am bored and desirous of entertainment, but it seems that I will have to find my own, like Toscana's novel which he so kindly signed, dedicating it to words and to my eyes, that read them.

That is, of course, once I have finished all my other work... (so no time soon, but perhaps over break).

Oh wait, I have another rant about the irritating qualities of a wet bicycle seat on my way to work. After descending from the bike and dropping off the small person I realized that there was a wet spot square in the middle of my bottom. I had to go to teach in a cold-sweat with a wet ass, and my sweater got wet in the bottom of the bike trailer, so my tight grey shirt absorbed all the liquid wicking it away from my breasts but accentuating the curves in a dark outline. Highly unpleasant and embarassing. But, I suppose life could be worse. After singing tonight I came home to a wonderful meal, and it was a great surprise, so all told the day was much more good than bad. Guess that is all we can hope for sometimes.

1 Comments:

Blogger ilana said...

please do:)
Here's a goal for you... get to San Francisco (textually) before I do physically (that is mid-March) and I'll be a happy woman-girl.

3:14 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home