jueves, enero 06, 2005

Saved again!

Los Reyes saved the day.

Picture me smugly being proud of myself and lulled into a false sense of security. It was only 7:45, I had lots of time. Oh sure. Shit. I forgot that when I leave my computer on sleep mode and I come back to it, it takes several seconds to update the time... I even leisurely partook of drinkable yogurt, made Isabella a sandwich and walked casually to her school.

After all, I had my books just in case I needed to go right to class. "Mommy, can you put me up there?" Lift large child, (so long... how they grow, I think she is going to be an amazona) and seat on bicycle, convince her to balance upright instead of leaning heavily on my arm. Walk the 10 minute path. Sign in. 8:40?! @#%$#. Brain fizzle. "One more hug" "No! I am going to be late!" "One more kiss, one more hug!" "ok" quick embrace "No, a real hug." "Argh, I am going ot be late! - Bye" "Mommy!" "Bye! I love you!"

Race to the bike, which I cleverly left unlocked for quicker take-off. Already sweating with winter coat, madly pedal my non-racing bike, front heavy with books, helmetless, making a mad dash across the empty four-lanes over to the bike path. Pedal, pedal, yeah, I feel the burn, I am in the zone... right... As I race through the steps I realize, of course, that my lesson plans are sitting on Alison's desk, four flights up in my office half-way across campus from the class that I need to teach in 8 minutes. Leave bike unlocked, race to elevator, painfully slow ascension. run to my door, fumble with keys, unlock, swing door open, ditch jacket, grab swim-bag, peel down the hallway, jam finger into the down button five times for good measure, as if my impatience will somehow summon the elevator at a more rapid pace. Hit button for first floor. Doors open again! Aaaaah. race to bike and pedal madly around unsuspecting bystanders. Lock bike up downstairs, and run - dead sprint- up the four flights of stairs to my class, bust open door as last bell chimes, all eyes lift. "hola" I say, casually panting, and dripping with the never-dry-from-shower hair and the sweat from exertion mixed with panic. Peel off Peruvian Alpaca wool sweater, throw it on a chair by the edge of the chalkboard. *Translating now: Hi everyone, I see you are all punctual even if I'm not, well, usually I am, I will be, I promise, but today is a special day... Does anyone know what today is? Today is "el día de los Reyes"... etc... launch on a five minute discussion of holiday practices in Hispanic countries, all the while trying to catch my breath and trying to see, blinded by the salty sweat running down my forehead into my eyes, casually wiping, wishing that I had windshield wipers for my face...

Mortifying to say the least, but in defense of my students, they were very polite, not commenting as the wet hair line slowly progressed south throughout the class, and it was a pretty good save considering that I turned a potentially damning situation into an off the cuff cultural lesson, then segwayed into clitic pronouns and command forms. I like this quarter's class, there are some very bright students and they ask excellent questions. Now, I really must get to class before them, but I doubt the possibility of this proposition...

Afterwards, the swim was such a welcome chance to strip from my sticky clothing, and I discovered that there are marvelous voyeuristic possibilities with the clear underwater sight afforded by goggles... also, when they come off, being tinted blue, the world seems wonderfully warm and yellow and inviting, as if a childhood movie that makes you feel safe and happy.