martes, enero 04, 2005

gloves, goggles and a dearth of tenors

Today, riding my bike to school again for the first time in a month? Has it been that long? Well, almost anyway, I really wished that I had a magical pair of gloves.

Oh yes, magical, not just any gloves for me... I wanted them to materialize on my hands as they were freezing to the handlebars, as the ache pierced the sensitive skin, you know, where fingernails are supposed to be, but on me are lacking... just one of my neurotic nervous habits.

I started biting my nails to stop sucking my thumb. I was eight. Too old to be sucking still. Indeed, and my older brother had this wonderful habit of biting his nails. It seemed a fair trade. Too bad it is more tenacious than a cigarette addiction... in fact, it is my only addiction, drugs and alcohol being a side-line amusement but far too boring to become habitual.

Magical gloves would have solved this problem, you see, curing me of all that ails me, magically appearing... Later in the day, I came across one lone black glove. It was a sad sight, without its pair, flopped ungracefully on the pavement and flattened in such a hopeless way... The mirror image was missing, no wonder it was black.

The sun was out though, and after so much rain anyone would appreciate that. I got to finally test out my new gendered goggles... They really worked. Magnificent, smaller for the smaller bone structure of a female face, and not a drop of chlorinated water in my eyes, just heated water and me moving through it, with fewer stops and more grace... (I wondered if finger nails would help gain leverage with the pull) and the sun warming my back. But getting out was another story. The concrete was frigid and my toes were rather unhappy with me, and since feet gloves are out of the question... oh wait, they call them socks... The nice thing about short(er) hair (M. cut it in the shower last week) is that my back was not soaked after dressing... lovely shower with good pressure and all the searing water I could take... But it didn't really help the sore muscles.

Yes, yesterday's mad dash to the humanitites building to teach my early morning class (not so early, but early enough for me), miles away from the comfort of my office (ok, not miles but I can exaggerate can't I? makes for a better rant...) left me with sore shins from trying to keep myself shod with the sandles as they slipped about in the rain and pulling my plantar fascia all out of whack again... and I had been doing so well, I had almost forgotten then pain, but then, it is good to remember the pain once in a while too:)

So I am _so_ over wallowing. Totally over it... I mean I keep trying but the smiles just keep busting through. I missed school. I missed my friends. I missed the sun. I missed the promise of newness... I think that being on a quarter schedule can be good if only because it offers the newness thrice a year instead of only twice... Of course it also creates the end of period stress three times too, and I am already getting that panicky feel about this one project that I DON'T want to do... but I forced myself to make several ILL requests todays from home this afternoon, so at least I can pretend that I am making progress.

Ok, so if I didn't feel like I was in high school all over again already with portuguese class (yay! learning something new and exciting even if *some* people think it a useless language) singing in the choir just capped it off. But I like it, it makes me feel good to be using a completely other part of my brain, if only for a few hours a week... The problem is (and you, my fellow music geeks, can appreciate this) that, as usual, there are barely any tenors... (ok, in high school it was basses that lacked, but post puberty, well, now it is hard to find voices that are high enough)... it is too bad, but we have been given the task to recruit... but I don't know anyone else dorky enough to sing in the faculty/staff choir...

On other news, the rain has beaten down so hard that it destroyed the barrier of the lagoon over by the aviary reserve and all the lovely water that had accumulate... There are signs warning of massive E. Coli contamination in the water and yet the surfers are still soaking in the foam (think: swirling in the hot tub of your toilet) Well, no one ever said beautiful bodies and athletic prowess worked in tandem with intelligence, dude....

Last half-hearted rant (I can't seem to get into the spirit)... nothing excited me at the video store and I didn't want to watch the heavy handed films that we usually pick... I wanted something deliciously mindless and there was nothing! (ok, there was a store full of mindless, but definitely nothing delicious!) I need suggestions, I can't be expected to keep up on everything! Help, oh movie fiends (you know who you are) that have more free time and movie libraries at your disposal!

I am currently only half-watching a movie on the falling of the Berlin Wall, a sort of Oedipal "Hable con ella" version Deutschland..., I best pay more attention as my German skills are nonexistent...