martes, enero 18, 2005

On what distinguishes one day from the next...

What makes one mundane day different from its precursors or its followers? Well? Oh, of course I am not really waiting for an answer from you, but I had you there for a minute, now didn't I.

No, today, like all days, this is going to be an eternal monologue starring *me*. Once upon a time there was a girl, and she was really funny and not so sappy as she has seemed of late. She was cool to hang out with and she made kick-ass brownies among other savory treats.

Today I have sunken to the lowest of lows in the culinary realm. I fed my child Ramen noodles. I didn't want to do it, really, but she wanted her Mexican letter soup and I had no energy for such nonsense... Oh well, she'll survive. I did all those years.

So getting back to this story about the amusing girl... as you can well imagine, this is a metonymic excercise because she is indeed me... or was... until I stopped being funny or fun. And so just this morning thinking on that, and thinking that I had lost my razor sharp wit and lamenting my own foolishness, and being agravated by moronic student who has finally showed up to class two weeks after sessions have begun wanting special dispensation because of her freshman basketball star standing. Little does she know that I have no sympathy for people with entitlement issues, and while I am all for affirmative action (I really am) you still gotta get your shit together, or be humble about asking for help... (there, that's my rant for the day.)

So back to what makes today different than other days, or any day for that matter. It is generally, I think, the stupid shit that happens to us, like my bike light bouncing off and shattering on my ride home... or M.'s run-in with the crazy Russian mechanic who couldn't put his car back together in 5 hours, or, joy of joys, the milk drying and the TV working after all!!!

Now if I were still funny (or if I had time, which I unfortunately don't this evening) instead of expounding on nothingness, I would be writing the really funny ode to masturbation that I was formulating in my spare minutes between parking bike and riding elevator up to my lovely office.

I guess masturbation will just have to wait (isn't that the way it always goes;).