domingo, enero 09, 2005

I did it! I did it!

So for all you who have been following the driving stick-shift saga, (oh wait, that's just me) I finally did it. M. got home in the early morning and was too exhausted to drive me and I. was in underpants and not wanting to go anywhere that didn't involve a kid's movie, _and_ she didn't want to watch "Lord of the Rings" again (some people are so demanding), so I just took the car and went.

Ok, it wasn't quite as simple a process as that, first I planned on taking the bus (which would have been another rite of initiation, but will have to wait until next time) but then I missed the hour and I. and my mom were busy video-chatting so I didn't want to leave her alone with the possibility of bananas on the keyboard (that would have been a fight even I wouldn't want to get into) and so, I hedged, woke the ogre (term of endearment, really) and then decided that I would go myself, in the car, in the rain to retrieve the books I needed from the library and my desk.

The drive, besides the rain, was absolutely uneventful and I didn't stall, even once. See? Not so hard after all, liittle girl... Of course then I made a spectacle of myself in the rain with I.'s pink princess umbrella (any color other than black wouldn't be my style, but really this was too much, however being my only option to combat the moisture...).

Now the drive back was another story... (yes this is really only a three-minute drive, I know, but I have to create drama in my life for it to seem worthwhile...) At the intersection (bain of my manual stick shifting existence!) of Carneros and Mesa I had to stop at the light, but when I started the car in front of me didn't and so, unable to control the motor the way that I would like, I stalled in a bouncing jolt... There were cars behind me, that had to go around, and this is really embarrasing, but I just kept starting the engine and stalling it through two whole light-cycles... I finally started it while red and just edged a little forward and not-so-skillfully avoided another bucking stop...crossing the street, and gliding into our housing complex. I pulled into our spot and got rained on a little more.

Now I am writing instead of doing the work that I procured... so I will go now... Just wanted to give a flash update on my personal growth and accumulation of skills:)