domingo, enero 30, 2005

heh heh... (creepy fifty-year-old man with emphysema laugh)

Awwwh shucks. I can't stay mad about anything for very long these days, especially because the sun is shining and I am being ever-so-productive. Ok. part of that is a bald-faced lie, you guess which part.

I am feeling oh-so-proud of myself (and no, not for abusing of hyphens - although it is kinda fun) 'cause I just installed the free upgrade of EndNote 8 on my little piece-of-pleasure machine all by my lonesome. Snarky laughter heard in the background. I know, I am pathetic, but machines are not in my parlance or even near my general repertoire of "things known" so I have to pat myself on the back for getting the gumption to actually install things and not fear mechaniacal repercussions (didya like the neologism?)...

Steps towards an independent life. Or at least the guise of it. Right? Kirsten's early morning phone call reminded me that women are definitely way cooler than men. Always. Without fail. No? Well here's why... she gave us permission to freely overgeneralize without having to preface each statement with a caveat of fallibility. How often do we hear men doing that? It's a fucking ridiculously female rhetorical strategy to always undermine one's own authority. Also, only with women writers do you immediately ellicit the assumption of personal experience, as if Woman can only write about what she knows (immediate subjectivity) and if perverse thoughts or actions appear, she must therefore live a debased life, whereas Man can write about the universal - and his imagination has no bearing on his respectability within society even when his personal life is a pit of pestilent puss... (Case in point - Alicia Steinberg writes an award-winning erotic novel run by Respectable publishing house and the interviewers can only ask her "are you a grandmother?" "Do your children know that you write this stuff?" ) No more. or at least not today. There will be no apologizing for the vagina dentata... devouring you fearful men, oh creationless creators, cunning controllers, comic-book curio collectors, and craving creationists...

Ok. Now back to work:)