martes, enero 25, 2005

From the trivial to the truly tragic...

So, in honor of good organization I will move from petty complaints to major problems with the world.

Petty problem # 1 Tuesdays are far too long and exhausting... 12 straight hours of occupied activity are too much, and the ten tenpié that I had as an intermezzo left me feeling ill. (positive note: the house was glistening and there was a fabulous meal awaiting me)

Petty problem # 2 Aghhh. anotated bibliography due next week:( well, at least I have my sources and though this will be a dubious project, I will give it my best shot: it is an analysis of a poem (intercalated with others) which will be read as a manifesto of poet's meta-poetic tendencies and the horror vacui that confronts the writer staring at the blank page.

Petty problem #3 Steve Jobs must have funny-shaped ears because I refuse to believe that mine are the freaks of nature! Why must we all conform to corporate America's vision of how our bodies should be shaped? Ok, so sometimes I forget to put the L in the left ear and the R in the right, but still I must inflict pain on myself to listen to 90's techno-pop (and while some might consider this masochism in its ripest form, there is a time for everything and today, one day only, it struck my fancy for my ride home)

Major problem:
Ok, so this should not even be in the same posting as the other petty things, and sadly, we exist trapped between the reality of our individual lives and those of the planet. I don't pretend that my daily peeves bear the equivalent value of what comes next, but I am still a real person and I function on multiple levels. Also, as is so cleverly and poignantly addressed by Cabrera Infante, puns hide pain, and humor is a release function. And so...

Another woman has been found dead in Juarez. Strangled, fully clothed. There was no mention of sexual violence, which is not to say that there wasn't any, I just didn't read that far, being enraged and heart-broken once again. This is number 4 in the year 2005. That means that roughly every 6 days (not even a week) this first month of the year a woman has been murdered and her body dumped. What does it take to stop this? Surely there is, as I have ranted before, a political apparatus, bi-lateral, no doubt, that sustains the evasion which allows this psychopathy to continue. But what more? Now we know where to dump the bodies, but where are they being raped and murdered? Now any man who wants to get rid of his wife has the perfect shroud of anonymity. The logarythmic amplifications are mind-boggling and chilling beyond belief.
This, in a world where domestic violence is most likely the number one killer of women... (at times it seems that no progress has ever been made and we are just giant gerbils running on a circular tread-mill) and faith-based initiatives hand the power ever more back to the patriarchy.

Then the argument that these women were "asking for it" that they were prostitutes or loose women looking for a good time and my eyes flare, my jaw set in defiance and I ask ¿y qué? So what? If they were prostitutes, they had to have equally "unethical" clients who are not appearing murdered and castrated in public spaces, and of course we all know the politics of selling one's body... it is a last recourse in an attempt at survival for those devoid of resources. And what if they liked sex? I like sex (when I get around to having it which is lamentably not often (or exciting) enough) but I certainly hope to not end up dead because of it. Who knows...

What is wrong with the world that this can continue to go on? What is wrong with the countries (because let's not forget that El paso is just un paso away and probably supplies the economic outlet which is driving the slaughter) that do NOTHING?!
I need to do something but I just don't know what, any suggestions?