domingo, noviembre 21, 2004

And I even finished my New Castle.

I was so proud of myself. My first trip to a SB bar, and it managed to be an off-the-beaten-path one. More like a house than a bar, with gaudy painted walls, live music and comfortable couches, free from obnoxiously gyrating post-teens, or bar droolers. I had a beer and behaved totally appropriately, well, mostly, no really, totally. I got to hang out with a bunch of skinny Jewish guys with glasses, yes, stereotypical, but in this case also true, and some very cool women from the soc. department. The motive of the gathering (and my being included was through a contact made initially via internet) was to present to us a dear friend who had just moved back from México D.F. Strangely enough he lived not far from where I did and we had an amazingly similar first run-in with the cops... steaming up the windows of cars in front of houses where we lived).

The reason that this is uncanny was that prior to going out, I promised myself that I would only write a little story tonight after I returned, so as to arise early and (ok. you caught me, ahem, begin the work that I was supposed to have spent the day doing.) Instead of working today, or in addition to grading the essays that I had, which took way longer than it should have because I was laying in bed and we all know to what that typically leads... I cleaned my kitchen, and machinated evil plans to take over the world. no? Ok, also not true. I thought about _that_ specific story that I wanted to tell. And here, I was, not alone in my vivid imagination. I could just _not_ tell the story after all. And savor it as my own for just a little longer. Then I wouldn't have to share this one more skinny boy with glasses (not Jewish) with the world. I don't know. He would probably get a kick out of appearing in my writing, what's more, I am going to search for him. That is exactly what I will do. He was a very good poet. I wonder if he is still writing his angry scatalogical poetry.

I feel sleepy, and tired, and not so very sad today. There is a world outside. There are ideas bouncing about waiting to be scooped or plucked or wrapped up in our embrace. There are matters of ethics to be considered and scientists that are planning even faster computers. Joy! Rapture! I can continue to make pithy commentary, and we all know, *that* is what I live for. I don't know if I should take this as a compliment (although at the time it was given as one) but I was once told: "I love you --- you always say the nasty things that I am thinking but am too afraid to say out loud" or something to that effect.
I think I can't even try to silence myself. What would the world be without one more snotty dissenter???