martes, abril 03, 2007

allegory of the cave


allegory of the cave
Originally uploaded by lunita.

There are still more photos coming, of our trip through the grand canyon. But if you follow this link, you can see the entire Sedona photoset. Once again the anonymity of vacationing is broken, no, no friends of mine, like in El Yunque, or Monte Albán... This time it was this one, little I. who crossed paths not once, but twice, on different trails and different days with a little girl she knows. I know I am getting old when I go places and am no longer myself but merely recognized as I.'s mom... This summer, in DF, I shall revert to my former self. Minus the wild parties, and excess. I will write, and write, and research, and translate, and, well... maybe go dancing, if the mood strikes. There is nothing more real than living in one's own skin, and yet, living vicariously has its own temptation. On the outher rim the little Turkish girls smiled and waved, there was an awkward introduction, undoubtedly the girls' parents were wondering who their daughters could possibly know, there. And on the Bright Angel trail, once again, I. and I, sweaty and tired glimpsing the top, just past the first tunnel-pass, there they were, just father and the older daughter. "Ah! Santa Barbara!" he cried as they passed, and the girls beamed once more at eachother. I shan't claim any more that it is an immense world, because there are these invisible threads of relation that tie us to one another, tugging in the strangest of ways. There is more than mere shadow, I know that, more than flickering light, projecting an ideal world. There is reality in all this virtual space. There is concrete emotion. There is a closing of distances, bridging of gaps, sealing of fates. There is more, still.