domingo, octubre 09, 2005

waiting for mail

Weird. No, really weird. I am waiting for mail because I got the most cryptic and yet strangely familiar emails in my inbox from a person who shall remain nameless for the time being, so as not to cause any cosmic rift or strange voodoo effects.

Sometimes things (people) find us at the most exquisite of times (ok that's not how you use the word in English, but it tickles me that in Portuguese esquisito means weird and not delicately delicious) at least it is this way for me.

Spent the day by the pool at faculty housing, Kirsten's friend was house-sitting and we lounged about the pool with children that were double-teaming us with obnoxiosity. Yesterday we spent the day at Lake Cachuma, it was beautiful, just on the other side of the mountains, but with very different vegetation than the ocean side. The wind whipped across the lake, and brought white-tipped waves that dashed foam against the rocky shore. We met friends at Cold Spring Tavern, and in honor of the last time we were there (last year with K.) I started the night off right with a Kamikaze (vodka, triple sec and lime juice or something like that). Again we had a strange meeting, as there was a bachelorette party going on, and they asked if it would be ok, because somebody was about to take their shirt off. I laughed inwardly, and said my child had seen worse, thinking that it was the women who were going to go topless, but no, it was three men (who I must say had very nice looking chests) who it turned out were administrative something or others at on of the schools at my university, and acquaintances of Iván's (small world). The women shreiked and I. covered her ears with napkins shook her head and muttered conspirationally, "Strange people".

Today she has been pushing my buttons to no end, and when she wouldn't get dressed, in frustration, I said " Just put the mmm. (purposefully omitted word) dress on" and she looked at me, mimicking with even the words I didn't say, shaking her head playfully at me "put the damn dress on." (For the record, I had really refrained) and for the rest of the day she was hooked on the word "sexy", calling Christa and Kirsten sexy, repeatedly. I finally asked what it was that made Kirsten sexy, and she said, "big boobs and high heels." (which made Kirsten laugh quite a bit, because the former is not one of her attributes). I was vaguely horrified. Where did my child get this idea? And why is she so damn sharp?

4 Comments:

Blogger Floriella said...

Kids, kids... that's the way they come now, new chips incorporated for sharp remarks, sharp answers, very sharp questions. Upgrades from Mother Nature!

1:43 a.m.  
Blogger Solentiname said...

From where? Genetics rings a bell?

Tá extraño eso del correo misterioso. Keep us posted!

6:14 a.m.  
Blogger L. YURÉ said...

Supongo que un roce mínimo con tu niñita compensa eso de pasar el día al lado de la pileta y la noche en Chippendales.

8:46 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Flo, te digo...
Sole, graziazzzzz;) y de lo otro temo que me voy a meter en un lío, mejor te escribo a tu mail.
Yuré - no te voy a alburear sólo porque se trata del honor de mi hjita linda;)

9:17 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home