sábado, agosto 13, 2005

saturnine sayings

"Is it a school day today?

"No, it's a stay-at-home-and-snuggle-with mommy day"

"Oh good, so we can lay around in bed all day?"

Pretty much... my brain feels like it is splitting open, and my stomach feels queasy. Don't know why. Last night we visited with Rashda, Saad and Izza, they are on a diet, so we got all the leftover Pakistani food that Saad's mother has been cooking so that they could at least eat vicariously. Note: Pakistani food is very much like Mexican food (amazing really) we had a daal and a lamb curry (almost exactly like a salsa ranchera, and tasted like birria), but perhaps the spice was too much?

Their friend Lisa, recently divorced and also recently back from a 2 month stint in Europe (what I wouldn't give to have been a silicon valley prodigy before the dot.com busts) had me twisting up with mild symptoms of envy, and even moreso because she is heading to Burning Man...

Meanwhile M. has bought himself a PC and now we can effectively ignore eachother for hours (not one-sided anymore) on opposite sides of the bed, as he explores his insatiable interest: Google earth.

I. pops in and out, "I need mommy hugs. I'll die, or get very sick if I don't have them."

Well, if you put it that way.

"Mommy," she asks, "Did Ariel's mother die?" (She and Izza watched The Little Mermaid II while the adults conversed (nothing like healthy social models for my kid, that's right, just another of my parental failures).

"Yes, sweetie, she probably died."

"Why?"
before I launch into a superfluous explanation of the risks of childbirth on mermothers, she continues:

"I know, maybe her mommy didn't die, maybe the mermaids just didn't get along and she moved away."

"..."

"Oh, no, Oh no, I mean, maybe Ariel's Daddy and Mommy couldn't get along, so she left."

Interesting analysis. Based on existing empirical evidence, she might be right.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eli F. said...

Nada que ver con nada, pero no me puedo contener. No es lo mismo "what I wouldn't give to have been a silicon valley prodigy before the dot.com busts" que "what I wouldn't give to have a valley between my silicon busts". Sorry! :-o

11:28 a.m.  
Blogger Solentiname said...

Tengo un amigo que vive en una comuna en Oakland, CA, que todos los años va al Burning Man y me manda fotitos. Me ha dicho que es impresionante. Cualquiera de las opciones de I. es mejor a la muerte de la sirena mamá, verdad?

11:37 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Otrova: ... precoz??? Creo que Yuré te puede dar unos tips sobre técnicas respiratorias para contener las... pues vos sabés...

Fortunately, or unfortunately... mine are real.

Sole: la sirena mamá ha superado la necesidad de vivir bajo el mar de la tristeza, o al menos, eso creeremos por ahora:)

4:56 p.m.  
Blogger L. YURÉ said...

(Jo, jo, jo! @ Otrova).
Ilana: Tonces, no vas al Burning man? (Me tengo unas ganas de quemar las máscaras que he creado en mi blog para contarles algo pero... ¿ahora entiendes lo del fuego?) Hablemos de agua y sirenas. A tí también te recomiendo la peli: "Dear Frankie".

6:45 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Yuré, sí... vi tu enlace a Burning Man con la japonesa abrazando el almohada y me imaginé que te irías... Me encantaría ir, y ya que no vivo tan lejos hay más posibilidad, pero creo que ando corto de presupuesto no sólo de dinero (que siempre es lo de menos cuando vas a pasarlo como Hippie) sino de tiempo (la carga de culpa de la lectura que no he hecho no me permite hacer planes de tal índole). Pues nada (léase con el mejor acento madrileño).

9:30 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

indeed, they see right through us.

7:51 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home