martes, agosto 02, 2005

Questions of identity

Who am I? Who are we, I mean really? How is it that we only feel at home among strangers, that we can be irrevocably linked to a culture that we abhor, that we can't understand, yet from which we can't seem to disentangle ourselves. It is laughable, teaching questions of identity, as if I had some sort of authority on these hyphenated identities, how many different ones can we tack on to the end? I wonder. When does it stop making a difference? M. was having a crisis today, he says, "I don't know where my country is anymore, I don't know what it is..." I want to make the tears go away, I want to make the pain go away, but there is little that I can do for comfort, still, I wipe the tears away as fast as they roll down the cheeks. "I don't know you... Who are you?" "What good is it to live morally, what difference does it make, it doesn't make you happier." "No, maybe not, but what are the alternatives... you are scaring me, you are capable of anything. Look at yourself, who are you? Is this what you want?" "I don't know what I want. I don't know who I am." We were just two people, it was just an afternoon, looking out the window, from the balcony, it was just some sheet music. I hijacked your life, I know, it was mutual, where will you go? I know you can't leave, but if you could, where would you go? Why does the music make it better? It's ok, you know, to go home, wherever home is, to make music, to be the star, to play for the throngs of thousands, I know, maybe it will be better, to be alone in a room full of people, on a stage.

There is no undressing, not the way that I would do it, not the blanket, staring straight ahead into the headlights challenging, dead pan, unblinking, unwavering, piece by piece devolving into pieces of myself. You would let the music be enough, the music is never enough for me, it is only one small piece, but where would I be without your guitar, stripped of my grounding, devoid of my invisible support?

Who am I? An exile in my own home, it mirrors your exile, mine is a linguistic exhile, yours a physical one, but it is more than that, does a shared set of common experiences constitute culture? Are a group of mutually acceptable mores, habits and customs sufficient to bind us to one another, huddled in a group of strangers confronted with the others, even stranger than themselves? When does it make sense? When does it get easier? When does it stop hurting with the words tearing through the soft flesh around my heart? Why can't I have more than this, increasingly more, why can't there be freedom, from oneself, from one's fears, from one's searing isolation? Why is it that love disintegrates into mutual dependence, scalding our senses with scathing tongues? Why is it never enough? Who are you? Where are you? I can't see anything but me reflected in your eyes and I don't know who I have become.

7 Comments:

Blogger L. YURÉ said...

Durante horas el maestro nos sentaba unos frente a otros. “Tú eres yo, yo soy tú” nos hacía repetir en voz alta mirándole los ojos al compañero. Después nos íbamos en fila al río sagrado donde quemaban los cadáveres y nos quedábamos allí hasta que las brasas se volvían cenizas. No conozco ninguna fórmula para encontrarnos a nosotros mismos, pero si sufres por no hallarte, el sistema de mi maestro te trauma tanto que ya no te importa tanto el encontrarte como el escapar de los locos que creían en él. (Ay! creo que me desvié del tema).

8:29 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Andas muy poético el día de hoy... y como siempre me haces reír de mí misma:)

Un comentario: ¿andarás jugando con fuego? porque noto que la palabra brasas surge una y otra vez en tus títulos y tus escritos (ya sé, soy una neurótica, pero observo los patrones en la escritura y por ejemplo me molestó mucho que en la última novela de John Irving -que en sí me gustó mucho- abusara de las palabras eponymous y contours).

1:22 p.m.  
Blogger Solentiname said...

De las crisis siempre sale uno fortalecido. Forza Ilana!

1:26 p.m.  
Blogger Eli F. said...

Hago fila pacientemente, me llega el turno, me subo en el carrito de hasta adelante de la montaña rusa, empieza el ride. Vértigo, emoción, se me hace un nudo en la garganta, más emoción, más vértigo. Se acaba el ride. Tristeza. Corro a formarme en fila esperando el siguiente ride.

(creo que ya lo había dicho antes).

9:57 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Sole: ¡eso es! solidaridad entre nos, la mujeres... (sólo que algunas (vos sabés cuáles) me caen re-mal:( )

Otrova: Qué bien que mis pobres palabras te lleguen, de veras no hay mejor cosa que le puedas decir a un "would-be" escritor de que transmita emoción a flor de piel. Me gusta la metáfora de la montaña rusa (aside: ¿vendrán de la Rusia realmente? siempre me he preguntado).

10:39 p.m.  
Blogger L. YURÉ said...

Tal parece que sí

10:36 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Yuré, cariño... you have way too much time on your hands:)Gracias por elucidar mis dudas...

1:03 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home