sábado, agosto 13, 2005

Rockwell à la Sisley


Rockwell à la Sisley
Originally uploaded by lunita.

The mundane seems to be my specialty, and what could be more mundane than sitting in the bathroom, waiting for the phone to ring? Ok, now I am adding drama to the scene, in reality I wasn't waiting for the phone to ring, and this was indeed staged after the actual event had concluded. I have this habit, which always drove my parents nuts (or at least my dad) that Idealist Savant can totally relate to (think late nights in the dorm when the conversation was far too important to interrupt with a visual barrier - we (women) need to be looking at our interlocutors while we interlocute) which is (now we are utterly removed from the primary clause of the phrase but oh well) that I always leave the door open when I go to the bathroom, or take a shower. I can't help it, I hate feeling locked up and claustrophobic. So while seated on the throne of glory, contemplating the panoplea of options for the day, I was struck by the peculiarity of this particular composition, and was forced (although some of you might not believe me that I don't carry it with me into the toilette) to go fetch my little (mostly useless) camera and recreate aforementioned peculiarity. Now I know that some people like extremely sharp images, and I supose I do too, sometimes, but I have this weakness in my heart for blurry edges of all kinds, I like truths that are partial, affirmations that vacilate, situational ethics, you name it, and I especially like the fuzzy warmth that radiates from an image taken with natural light and a long exposure time and no tripod. Alas, as I was admiring my handiwork, M. hijacked the image and over my shoulder fiddled with Photoshop until it met my approval. And there it is, the story of how this foolishness came to be.

14 Comments:

Blogger L. YURÉ said...

Tal parece que de la picardía de M. salió una composición llena de incógnito y balance estructural. Las travesuras estéticas son las que llenan de arte lo más cotidiano.

7:07 a.m.  
Blogger Dean CóRnito said...

JAJAJAJAJA. Me has arrancado grandes carcajadas. Y coincido con Yuré en lo de la composición llena de incógnito y balance estructural (sólo que para estas cosas del arte él lo expresa mucho mejor). Muy bueno el resultado final.

4:50 p.m.  
Blogger Jenny said...

When I am in a public bathroom, I always take the handicapped stall for fear of the walls of the traditional stalls closing in on me. Now, I've never actually run into a handicapped person in the bathroom, much less pushed one out of the way, but I always feel a little guilty... Beautiful pic.

6:19 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Yuré,
pues justamente fue el balance o la división entre lo blanco y negro que me llamó la atención de esta imagen (no creas que sea por ser ensimismada, que tal vez lo sea, un poquito, pero en este caso no fue el caso, digo yo:). Y como ya te he dicho, yo no sirvo para manipulaciones mayores, pero en flickr está la versión virgen... ahem, es un decir...

Dean,
Saludos! espero que el arranque de carcajadas haya sido tan placentero que el evento que lo provocó :) No, en serio, agradezco el cumplido.

Idealist,
Of course I do the same thing, also because for five years now, I rarely have an individual bathroom experience... I think you may be one of the few people with whom I can sit, pants around my ankles, on the pot and talk politics or deep emotional trauma without flinching. There is a reason I love you!

7:41 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Tugo,
I hardly think non-traditional bathroom practices should be a reason to endure self-imposed solitude... however, maybe finding the right person to accept such practices is easier said than done.

7:53 a.m.  
Blogger Eli F. said...

Ilana, hay una diferencia fundamental entre el hombre y la mujer en lo que respecta al placer de cagar. Para el hombre es una experiencia cuasi-espiritual que requiere de soledad y privacidad para su mayor disfrute. Para la mujer es más bien un rito religioso que se puede (o debe) compartir. El tema ha sido fuente de tensiones con la Sra. de Gomas, a quien le encanta hacer lo suyo con la puerta abierta, y además entra al baño sin anunciarse cuando yo estoy en lo mío. Creo que en esta Tugo tiene la razón; desde la perspectiva masculina una de las ventajas de vivir solo es poder dejar la puerta del baño al cagar y aún así tener privacidad...

9:50 a.m.  
Blogger Jenny said...

Otrova Gomas, did you see the episode of Coupling (UK version) that aired last night, addressing precisely this issue? It all started when a man's girlfriend removed the lock on his bathroom door while redecorating -- the men are aghast and the women are indifferent, but naturally all hell breaks loose as a result... Hysterical. Definitely worth seeing (Season 3).

Another issue of course, is that when I go to the bathroom and shut the door, my cats pitch a fit -- they all insist on being petted while I take care of my business. I just don't get it. I think they've come to realize that when I'm sitting there, I am helpless and their captive...

4:21 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Otrova and Jenny : Ha Ja Ha! Can't even tell in which language I am laughing...
We have the same ordeal at my house, I see nothing wrong with trying to discuss our finances, breaking the solitary communion with his magazine or whatever... And of course he is a captive audinece then, now that you put it that way:)

4:36 p.m.  
Blogger Eli F. said...

Idealist, thanks for clearing this whole business up. Now I finally get it, just like Ilana: when I'm sitting at the throne I am definitely captive audience.

Unfortunately we don't get Coupling here. I watched the first season while I was living in the US, then the US version came out (I doubt it made it through the first season), but then I came back to Costa Rica and that was the end of it. :-(

Ilana, by the way, no entendí el comment que me dejaste sobre el interés en lo doble y tu conexión hipertextual...

6:31 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Otrova,
don't mind me, I usually only make sense to myself... salió algo curioso mientras revisaba las visitas del día... pero no diré más (por hacerme la misteriosa o por proteger a los inocentes:)

8:52 p.m.  
Blogger Solentiname said...

La excepción que confirma la regla y que yo ando siempre alrevés: no soporto que me hablen mientras estoyt en el baño, debo cerrar con treinta candados y aborrezco la costumbre esa de las mujeres de ir en grupo al baño. Freud podrá explicarlo mejor, me temo.

8:56 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Sole,
no malentiendas, no hablo de la mentalidad de manada de ir a los baños públicos (costumbre despreciable para mí) sino del hábito de jalar a mis amig@s conmigo cuando estoy en media res y no quiero perder el hilo de la conversación:) Claro, puedo comprender tu pudor, sólo es algo que a mí siempre me ha faltado.

9:32 p.m.  
Blogger Eli F. said...

Gotcha! Let´s leave it at that. Thanks.

2:11 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Otrova:
así será:)

2:43 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home