jueves, abril 21, 2005

No news is good news

I have been too sapped of late to write anything of interest, but as I just completed my paper re-write, I thought you would all be happy to know that I will either be fabulously brilliantly subversive in my incursions into academia, or I will go down in a blaze of glory. I know, I can't help being controversial or political, and I may indeed incite the wrath of the academes, but I always thought this game should be about fucking shit up and shaking people out of their comfortable complacency. Maybe it isn't a good idea, but if I am meant to go down this path, then it will have to be on my terms, and no toes are too holy for me to tread upon.

That said, I really do hope to not make an ass of myself, so, of course I can talk big here, but will probably remain with my mouth shut and ears open for the majority of the time...

Last night we watched (The) -see Jeff, there I go again altering titles to my whim- Ladykillers... Man, the Coen brothers kill me, sometimes nothing but a noir will do, I always say. It was hysterical, portraying deaths worthy of any or many Darwin awards. (My favorite bathroom reading at mom and dad's house).

Now the only other exciting discovery is that I can actually get work done in the library! I can't quite place it, but it is foreign enough of setting, and yet familiar enough in its expectations of silent diligence, that I can actually do work without getting distracted (by other work) despite the fact that I actually have wireless internet here. I just turn off the airport and deceive myself into thinking that I don't have it available as an option and I burrow in... (this works on the same principle as setting my clock ahead fifteen minutes, but setting it for 7 am. I am consciously aware of the deception, but it still somehow functions because I am willing to suspend my disbelief.)

I am off, ready to ride home in the sari that annoyingly opens in the most inopportune ways and times, complete with bike trailer for my hefty load. Of late I have been tempted by sleepiness and allergy driven mysery to drive little I. to school in the newly tweaked car (now dubbed "tubarão"), but have resisted, even when she asks to not go in the bike again, because I insist that it is better for the environment and better for me. And it is.