lunes, abril 11, 2005

Playing with words

Must be genetic. Of late, little I. has been impressing me with her varied lexicon and desire to explore and express herself with an exactitude of word choice. She is often able to express very specific and surprisingly clear ideas just by using words that are uncommon. She seems to derive pleasure from this creative play, and who, I ask, would not.

Part of what is so amazing are the uninhibited probes that she makes into language, her lack of fear of error or malapropisms. Today as we were discussing freezing the pedialyte (rehydrating fluids) she said "Mommy if we're going to 'isolate' it, it'll have to be really really cold" Fabulous! Icelate... the process by which one makes liquid solid! Incidentally, I have been playing more word games myself.