domingo, noviembre 28, 2004

Pomegranate and chocolate amargo

Dessert before dinner to cap off our five day indulgence spree.

Strangely, my dissatisfaction pulls at me, like the tide away from the shore. Alone in a room full of people. When will I stop feeling alone?

As we walked through the farm, we encountered Javier a visionary, a poet, a farmer, who has worked this same land for the last twenty years. He had a marvelous name for the president - el mono diabólico - and a fabulous philosophy of life - to be content, with what you have, or to look for what will make you happy. Expressed in a much more beautiful way and with a kindness of soul, as if he could ascertain the pain, and soothe it, and offer alternatives not previously examined.

I am so astounded by these brilliant women who call themselves friends, as they play games on the computer and create a new and (much) improved web site for me, or explain the mysteries of crop rotation.

I have come to the conclusion (again) that there are many things in this life that I will never know how to do, and that I best accept this, and move forward. I am also feeling guilty (again) that I am focusing on petty existential minutae when I should be doing something to combat the horrendous and atrocious injustices that my country is commiting even as I write. How many babies will lose mothers or fathers or limbs in the time it takes me to write this crap in my very safe, and very comfortable living room? Would a bullet in the brain solve any of this? No? Then I guess I will continue to breathe, and process from the interiority of a completely uselessly ineffectual intellectual. AND... I am writing a new story that will be both completely un-political, and probably awful by all artistic standards... arggggggggh.

I hate Sunday nights. They are crushing.