lunes, febrero 06, 2006

A well deserved rant

Why in God's name can no one in the nebulous universe of the health industry be even vaguely competent? Why, I ask, shaking my fist at the skies.

It is the yearly check-up time and my child is due for her maintenance and tune-up, so I realize, oh yes, no health insurance, must do.

I log on to the low-income insurance site for the State of California, and I see, happily, that there is an e-application. Easy. No. I call because I know that I had a previous attempt at signing her up between insurances, and was denied for unknown reasons, but ignored this. The kid on the other end of the line doesn't know that there is such a thing as an e-app (note to self, best send things through the mail). I inquire as to the ramifications that having a previously denied application will present with relation to this new one, now that my household has mutated. He says there should be no problems. And, by the way, I have a $36 credit. A fucking credit!!! Oh yes, the state has a habit of cashing checks for people that they subsequently deny coverage. WTF? Whatever, I won't need to send a new check. (This makes me a bit uneasy, but I will ignore it for now).

Step 2: call the doctor's office to A) make yearly appointment and B) ascertain which insurance plan will be accepted. I call at 11:45. I get the answering service (that doesn't offer to take a message). I say I would like to make an appointment, and they say, oh, well this is the answering service. Yes, I am fully aware. Call back at 1:30 - they left for lunch. Who gets a fucking 2 hour lunch??? Ah yes, just the entire staff (has no one thought of a staggered lunch break? clearly that would make too much sense, and it isn't like children's health is important to anyone anyway). When I call back, I will undoubtedly not be able to get an appointment for several weeks to several months. Good thing my kid is healthy. And I will have time to get the insurance in order by then too (I hope.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Oh honey, I feel your pain. Yesterday I tried to set up my annual gyn exam. After waiting on hold for 51 minutes and 33 seconds (I timed it), I was told that as a new patient, the first available appointment was APRIL 20th. Today I tried to set up my annual physical. No hold time, but again, as a new patient, the first available appointment was JUNE 5. This is Jenny having decent health insurance, but still being unable to see a doctor. So, I will remain without birth control or sleeping pills. If 4 months from now I kill my unborn child after getting into an accident after falling asleep at the wheel... well, we know who to blame.

12:55 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home