viernes, mayo 27, 2005

poco productivo

Ah. internet is back up at my house. much easier to reach out and touch someone... wait what was that the jingle for? My pop culture trivia has been slipping down the tubes. Didn't seem to get much work done yesterday, but I did go to two really interesting talks on eco-feminism from a hispanic perspective. I. came to the second talk, she is always so good, but as we sat in the front row of the auditorium, half-way through, when the chicle and the pictures of "love" grew boring, and my whispered explanation of what "espíritu" is, and how it doesn't always mean ghost was unsatisfactory, she began blowing kisses to my professor at the back of the room. She can get away with that, especially because her presence at the lecture was announced as a "special guest". The other possibly exciting (or massively insane time-consuming nightmare - remains to be seen) is that the author asked my to translate his latest book, which is a philisophical essay on Hispanidad in direct response to Samuel Huntington's "tesis nefasta". Sounds exciting, but also a little scary, but hey, wasn't I just saying I like pressure? We'll see.

Last night we finally took Romina up on her offer to babysit Isabella, and met up with the rest of the department for drinks at Elsie's. Cozy and fun, a sort of a semi-last hurrah for some. It was fun, but then I was left alone with my midnight oil burning, a sleeping babe by my side and a semi-functional computer. Triste.

I need to go to school to make a review for my students, and to grade tests and papers (I can't make myself look at them, this is horrible, they have been trailing around in my bag for three days now). Ok, now I am cold and cranky for lack of sleep, but I better go do something useful with my day. Maybe.