viernes, mayo 20, 2005

California dreamin'

Been feeling a little inspired of late, but it is silly to post things in more than one place... I know what happens to Marina, but every time I sit down to write about it, I can't seem to get there. I will, soon, maybe.

Meanwhile I meant to go out to breakfast with Alison, but I left my glove compartment open for a week (this car definitely brings out the idiot in me), thereby depleting the battery, so I and I. needed a jump start...

Wheels


Men are such useful tools, I swear. (No, no, I am really only joking, and while I am indeed an asshole, I am not quite that brazenly ungrateful). After leaving the girl at school, we did get out eventually, A. always has a way of making me feel like I am not totally wrong about everything. Girlfriends are indeed key to one's sanity.

So I am off to my desired work space. Yes, I will take my book to the beach, and maybe even swim in the ocean, now that it is finally beginning to warm. The other day we discovered a sick seal (or was it a sea lion? I can't tell the difference) that had beached itself and was making great efforts to cross the little fringe of beach to the "river" on the other side of the sand bar, which reminded me of the current that divides the beach in Paraíso, but whose raging current was much stronger.

Surf's up

Finally the tide came back out, (we called mammal rescue services but there was only an answering machine) and a surfer girl and I helped it onto her board as it leveraged itself in beleaguered thrusts towards the water. Then it slowly swam across only to drag itself back up onto the rocks. It was so sweet, and dog-like, opeing its pink maw to make choked cries of pain and frustration. It rolled to have its belly rubbed, but it seemed to have a swollen "hip". I wish I could have stayed to secure its safety, this animal, so far removed from the death and destruction that go on every day while we petulantly concern ourselves with such petty things as love and desire, or in the most useless of all incarnations, literature.

Ok. Infierno in Paraíso calls.