miércoles, mayo 11, 2005

On sweets and tongues

Learning a language should be fun. We are agreed, no? But here's my big problem. I am not fun. What? Ok. Let me rephrase that. If fun means bringing chocolate, or pan dulce, or cloying beverages to my students, or playing silly games, then I am not fun.

Sigh. There were crumbs on my desk this morning, and a sticky film of some sort. I was reminded why I am never going to be voted most popular, or coolest professor... ever. I can live with that. For me the fun is in the decoding, the word play, the making of connections. It might be nice to dole out food on my charges, (and I do love to feed people) but that, I think, is for another setting altogether.

Is it just me that has to have such a highly compartmentalized life? Some spheres may never mix, they just don't, and that works for me. Here is another example: I am all for open expression of sexuality, gender and life-style, but I was drawn to this question on a survey taken the other day... Something to the effect of, do you feel comfortable sharing your sexual identity with your students, or in the classroom... Hell no. But not because it is a repressive university compulsory heterosexuality regime (although it might be, I don't know). I would no sooner tell my students my personal likes and dislikes in the bedroom (or bathroom, or clearing in the forest, beach... etc.) than I would share indiscretions about my views on fidelity, child-rearing, or use of controlled substances. It is none of their damn business, and it would cloud the relationship of learning that needs to take precedence.

Now I am perplexed, should I force myself to take a political stand, in order to combat false assumptions, or, should I just let some things slip... passing, like a ship in the night, as a "normal" status quo-toting citizen. Should I cave to the pressure to reduce culture to a few scraps of sugar and flour? Does any of it make a f-ing bit of difference. Highly dubious.