martes, diciembre 14, 2004

The marauding maga strikes again!

My very own one-woman iron chef.
Still nothing new in the fridge (see previous list)

Did discover a box of soy milk which made going to the grocery unnecessary, and since I am leaving town Friday morning, it doesn't really make sense to get a whole bunch of perishables only to have them wilt beyond recognition in my absence, right?

I am so fucking cool, I just have to pat myself on the back sometimes;)

Tonight's feast:

Garlic shrimp risotto - using the last splash of 1/2 and 1/2, the last few sprinkles of parmesan, a single remaining scoop of garlic herb cheese spread, rum in lieu of white wine, salted water instead of broth (don't even have boullion cubes! or powder), sauteed shrimp in garlic butter sauce, sweet peas, and a few capers for good measure.

A romaine and onion salad with the last of the onion not used in the risotto preparation.

And, for color and splash of sweet/tartness for contrast - a garnishing of cranberry orange relish.

I am doubly cool because I have never officially made risotto (though I have stood over the shoulder of others through its preparation) and I didn't muck it up... Of course anyone who has really Italian taste is probably groaning and rolling eyes heavenward, but I have no prejudices and the more garlic, the merrier... I say.

Baby steps. Baby steps... I have to be proud of myself for something, don't I?