jueves, octubre 14, 2004

Reasons to be happy...

Yet another list... I may stagnate in my lack of creativity, but lists are sooooooo soothing, and they help focus my ever increasingly entropic brain.

Today's list is about reasons to be happy instead of sad.

1) It is Thursday, which means tomorrow I don't have class! and I get to go do work :( (ok, not so happy), but at least I can bask in the sun at school, watching people go by and know that I just have to keep reading.

2) Miguel got a fabulous job today!!! Dream job through which I will live vicariously, editorial design, book covers, the very things that attract me to peruse the miles of aisles at bookstores... (and the hope that he will be able to use such contacts to design the cover of my first book)

3) Isabella is snuggling with me as I write.

4) I finally decided on a worthy topic for my evil class on bibliography. Well not evil, I suppose, just overwhelming. I hate being reminded of everything that I don't and will never know, how absolutely trivial my work will be in the long run, and how much effort I will spend on an ultimately unattainable goal... (this was supposed to be a list of happy things... sigh)

5) I am, I think, getting over this nasty sinus infection, as I don't collapse from exhaustion and cold sweat upon returning home.

6) We have gig lined up for the end of the month downtown, which of course will require a new guitar (grrrr. not happy) but that will be exciting and continue the yearly tradition of a "díá de los muertos" performance.

7) My father will soon be arriving with all my books and kitchen equipment. Yeah!!! What is a girl to do without her books or her specialized utensils, knives and recipes?

8) I have rediscovered my love for poetry, and I have rediscovered the power of music and the poetry of lyrics...

9) I don't have a cat :( which means... I don't have to clean up cat sh-t:)

10) I have wonderful, wonderful, wonderful women in my life who make me happy and listen to me whine.

11) I only have nine more things to go to complete my even goal of twenty happy things.

12) I love the class I am teaching! in fact, I love teaching adults, or pre-adults/ post-adolescents... they make me laugh, a lot, and I get to be a goof for 50 minutes a day and have a captive audience.

13) I am no longer in Manchester!!! Anyone would be happy about that, but seriously, Manchvegas was a town with nothing socially moving to offer, not even good movies.

14) Which reminds me, I am going to the movies this weekend... it was supposed to be tomorrow - I guess that plan has been deflated, but I get to watch my very favorite eye-candy, whose second apellido is Bernal... like the cronista...

15) Dinner is being made for me... again. I believe that this may be an all-time record folks. Enfrijoladas con huevos, with garden fresh tomatoes and corn tortillas that, while are nothing like they are supposed to be, are much fresher than I could get on the East Coast.

16) The garden is giving back much more than we had originally anticipated.

17) It is not snowing, contrary to what Diana says is going on in Montreal, and cold means I have to where a long sleeved shirt, not a mamaluk parka.

18) I am meeting fabulously interesting people every day and I am thrilled to be working with the professors that I am working for. (really and truly... there is no way they are ever going to read this, so in no manner am I aiming for brownie points:)

19) Eric shared his wonderful brownies last night with me, which is no real reason to _still_be happy, yet, I somehow am...

20) I am planning a girl weekend, one in which we can speak freely about everything, and fear no hostile ears, linked by the collective and additive power of simultaneously vibrating estrogen:)

21) This is to make up for the cheating one, number 11, I have bought myself a lone ticket to see a Canto Fado concert on Monday... It has been forever since I get to go to a concert with no baby!!! (we even dragged her to see Steel Pulse in Ventura and danced well past midnight)


Ok... so my happy list is much less eloquent or even appealing than the ones filled with longing. I just needed to not be longing for a day or two, then I will be back to my old ways, for sure...