jueves, diciembre 31, 2009

The year in review

2009, the last of the digits-decade. A decade that, for me came on like a lion, and goes out like a, well, petulant cat?

Countries visited? : Brazil, Canada, Mexico

The year began in San Francisco, and that was the overarching theme, great cities. Other grand cities I visited: Rio, Brasilia, São Paulo, Montreal, Morelia, Boston, NY, LA, Philly.

Perhaps more importantly, this year has been about slamming our metaphorical fingers in metaphorical car doors over and over, but each time, pulling out with less damage than before. My

My dissertation is much closer to finished. My child is much closer to my height. My life is mostly complete: the gaping hole that I used to feel without a partner is mostly closed up, and healed over. Things could be worse.

My experience on the academic job market has been educational, to say the least, and I still don't know, even now, where I will be living in a year.

But I know this, wherever I am, I will be trying to be better than I was before.

Hope 2010 is a great year for all, full of love, laughter and deep friendship. That's what I'm expecting for myself!