martes, enero 24, 2006

Stupid, but fun.

I love languages I love them...I get so excited about etymologies, I know I am too dorky for words. Ha! But I am having so much fun in my linguistic history class, even if I have to practically muzzle myself not to shout out answers and give the others a chance.

Words I learned in the last few days: Acuñar = to coin a term... I don't know why I didn't know this but I didn't.
Tamizar = to sift (also, I am outing my deep ignorance, but hey, where else?)

But this was the greatest divertissement: Tranzar (of unknown pre-latin origin) = to make a deal / agreement. Ok. I didn't know this use, but rather the Mexican lexicon = estafar = to scam/ cheat i.e. "Si no tranzas, no avanzas"
and the Argentine use Tranzar = follar (esp), fajar (mex) = to hook up (with or without sex) and the funniest part is that in Brazil (not surprising, I suppose) "Transar" means exactly that, or rather to have sex. Now, the really funny part is that they really are just deviations of the basic concept of a transaction/deal, but it is perhaps telling to see how those deviations themselves diverge so wildly from one hemisphere to the other. Hmm. now that I think about it, I recall a visit with my cousins in Boca Ratón when I was 14 and becoming acquainted with the local usage term "scamming" which meant, "hooking up". Curious indeed. Ah... ok, I am truly revelling in my geekdom.