miércoles, noviembre 23, 2005

Lost in translation

Although in my world, I love my boss (really he's awesome and a great friend, too.)
This poem of Quinto's struck me as something that some others of you, dear readers, might enjoy, so with his permission, I made a quick translation (yes, as you all must know by now, I prefer free-form poetry myself, and it is much easier to render artfully in another tongue, I find): May this long weekend free you all (here in the US, at least) from stresses and laboral disappointments, if nothing else.

Boss

I’m seated,
drink water,
Organize my things
And think of how his head would look
Mounted on a stake.

I am ever aware
Of his flourishes of power
His cold sarcasm,
And my chastisements;
Sometimes I think I could
Turn his head into mush;
With broken fists
Burying the fragments of bone
In the ground

To be honest,
I don’t like him;
I could tie him to a chair,
Excise his eye with my fingers,
Hold up his head
And violate the bloody hole that’s left.

One of these days, I’ll quit.

6 Comments:

Blogger andro said...

His flourishes of power...

Turn his head into mush...

It sounds cool in english. Thank you, Ilana Sue.

Question: Did you see Kubrick's "Full metal jacket"?

12:30 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Long time ago... glad you like it, it is yours after all.

1:43 a.m.  
Blogger L. YURÉ said...

Excelente y merecido homenaje para el Fifthu (Quintu en inglés).

12:04 p.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Fithu always is so kind when reading and commenting on my poetry, I just wanted to return the favor:)

12:22 p.m.  
Blogger andro said...

Ilana Sue, the question about "Full metal jacket" was because there is a scene on the movie when the ruthless sargeant tells to one of the privates to do what he says or otherwise he will "rip your eyes out and skull-fuck you." That's was part of my inspiration (besides from that asshole of one my bosses)for that post (notice how reticent I am to call that a poem... but that's another history and you already just scratched it.)

Two final things: Excuse my french and let me ask you: don't forget to read my other blog, I'm anxious to know your opinion. Big hug for you.

2:47 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

I had forgotten that part, clearly, being a woman, it didn't mean the same thing to me;)

I promise to read with the attention it deserves when this month of writing like mad ends. I just can't read anything extended until then and form any sort of coherent discussion.

Right back at ya!

9:01 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home