lunes, diciembre 20, 2010

Letters to Santa (Update)

"Mama, do you think Santa exists?" she asks knowing the answer as she sits across from me in the Indian restaurant that we decide there is a reason we never come to.
I arch my eyebrows at her. "What do you think?" I smirk.
She grins back, "No?... Yes?... No?... Yes?" there is a hopeful upturn to her voice, as she knows quite clearly that this is about her consumer thrust and not about her deep-rooted belief in some mystical fat man that will plummet through our non-existent chimney.

"So, uh, Borders is closing..."
"We're not going shopping today...."
"I wish..." she later says, and lets her voice trail dramatically, hanging between us and our saffron paneer and chicken tikka masala.
"Not today, kid. I'm tired. And I hate crowds."
"I know..." she feigns dejection.

When we get home she sits down and diligently writes in a notebook, her room is cleaned up and she looks as if she were doing homework, except that she's already on vacation and did all her make-up work before school was out.

She sneaks in and shreds the previous petition to the Santa mama. She has, she claims, an updated letter (replete with an orange Christmas tree on top, with a star at its peak, and an animal of dubious provenance that she asserts, with an arrow, is "Ruddolf") and could I make sure that Santa gets it? This looks much more like a wish list than a sweet, innocent petition of credulity.

Dear Santa,

This year for Christmas I would like these things...

1. Converse (Black)
2. How 2 draw everything book
3. The encyclopedia of immitureity
[sic]
4. funny t-shirts
5. Batteries
and possibly if my mom agrees a stuffed animal

Thank you!

I./Little I.
[names omitted to protect the innocent, but both her given name and nickname were included, just in case]

P.S. Give your elves my regards.


3 Comments:

Blogger Solentiname said...

Lo está pulseando tan fuerte, que merece por lo menos el peluche!!

6:50 a.m.  
Blogger Jenny said...

Hilarious! Fooling no one, but sweet all the same!

7:12 a.m.  
Blogger ilana said...

Sole: yo estaba más inclinada hacia el libro de dibujo y unos lápices... lo demás "opcional" y bien lo sabe ella, significa que si recibe un peluche nuevo, tiene que regalar 2-3 de los viejos... son las reglas de la casa! (un beso y que pasen una feliz navidad!)

Jenny... yeah she's a funny one, that girl. It is kind of sweet, and the good thing is that I can at least get her a little stocking stuffer since we will be "celebrating" this year. hugs and kisses and happy holidays to you guys!

9:38 a.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home